The Snell Firehouse - Ormond Beach, FL
The Snell Firehouse. Construction started on July 18, 1936 and the Fire House was placed in service on October 14, 1937. The mayor was Hubert A. Price and the po- lice/fire chief was D.W. Whitehurst. The architect of the Fire House was Alan J. MacDonough, also the architect of the Daytona Beach Bandshell and Holly Hill City Hall, which like the Fire House, were WPA projects built of coquina. The Streamline Hotel, Jackie Robinson Ballpark and Peabody Auditorium were his as well. While previously residing in nearby Lake County Mr. MacDonough designed most of the public buildings and many fine homes there. He is the architect of record for numerous structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
The architectural style of the building is Spanish Colonial Revival, incorporating both Mission and Spanish Revival ele- ments. Prominent architectural features, aside from the coquina, include arched covered porches on the first and sec- ond floors; a cross-gabled roof; keystones above all doors, windows and arches; and an octagonal tower with pyramidal low pitched roof. There is a monument in front by Granada Boulevard that has an octagonal central feature.